Thursday 20 November 2008

Like a Vein of Ore...

Another of Rilke's poems from his Book of Hours that is really speaking to me at the moment. I don't really think it needs too much explanation - I'm sure we've all felt like this at some point in our journey.

It feels as though I make my way
through massive rock
like a vein of ore
alone, encased.

I am so deep inside it
I can't see any path or any distance:
everything is close
and everything closing in on me
has turned to stone.

Since I still don't know enough about pain,
this terrible darkness makes me small.
If it's you though -

press down hard on me, break in
that I may know the weight of your hand,
and you, the fullness of my cry.


1 comment:

Sue said...

Yeah, I understand this all too well. Feels like death. Is, in a way. But still, the paradox remains, from death into life :)